During your visit, your healthcare provider will want to gather information about you so you can receive the very best treatment and advice. Here are some of the items you may discuss:
- Your recent history regarding this diagnosis: Your healthcare provider needs to understand how you came to be diagnosed and what tests and procedures you have had so far. Did you visit your primary care provider or a urologist? Results of your PSA tests? What treatment, including active surveillance, have you had up until now? Be ready to fill your doctor in on these details.
- Your personal and family history of cancer: Have you had cancer in the past? Type? Age at diagnosis? Have your parents, grandparents, siblings or children had cancer? Type? Age at the time of diagnosis?
- Your other health conditions: Your doctor will need to know if you have other health issues, such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, depression or other mental health disorders.
- Medications and supplements: List all prescription medications you take, including hormone (testosterone) therapy, antidepressants or antianxiety medication, blood pressure medication. List over-the-counter supplements you take, including multivitamins-multiminerals, sports supplements, fat-loss pills, joint remedies, herbal formulations (including medicinal teas). Important: Indicate medications to which you are allergic.
- Past surgeries/procedures: List all surgeries and procedures you have had.