(HealthDay News) -- Before you stuff the turkey or prepare holiday treats, make sure you take precautions to prepare your food and store it safely after the feast is over.
The Foodsafety.gov website offers these holiday guidelines:
- Thoroughly wash your hands, produce and all surfaces and utensils.
- While shopping, separate raw meat and poultry from any foods that won't be cooked.
- Use a food thermometer to make sure all meat is cooked to an appropriate temperature.
- Reheat any sauces, gravies and soups to a rolling boil.
- Make sure all eggs are thoroughly cooked. Use only pasteurized egg products.
- Promptly refrigerate all leftovers at 40 degrees or below. Use leftovers within four days, or toss them out.
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.