(HealthDay News) -- An injury or sleeping the wrong way can lead to a major pain in the neck.
The American College of Rheumatology suggests these ways to ease neck pain:
- Stay as mobile as possible, and limit the use of a neck brace. Avoid regular exercise, but try to move the neck gradually and slowly in all directions.
- Stretch neck muscles during a shower with the heated water running over your neck.
- Within 48 hours of noticing neck pain, apply ice up to 10 minutes at a time. After 48 hours, apply heat.
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever, such as acetaminophen or an NSAID.
- Consider massage therapy for chronic neck pain.
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.