How to Have a Bone-Building Dialogue
Whether you’ve already been diagnosed with osteoporosis or think that you’re at risk, you should keep these questions at hand.
Thinking about osteoporosis for the first time? Ask your doctor…
- Am I at risk for bone loss?
- Could any of my other health problems (or medications I take) contribute to bone loss over time?
- Do I need a bone mineral density test?
- How do I know if I'm getting enough calcium and vitamin D?
- How do I know if I'm getting enough physical activity?
- Do I need to take an osteoporosis treatment to help protect my bones?
Already been diagnosed with osteoporosis? Ask your doctor…
- What's my osteoporosis status? How serious is my bone loss?
- Do I need a bone mineral density test? What do the results ofmy last few tests tell us about my bone health?
- How effective have my lifestyle modifications been so far? (e.g., better nutrition, more exercise, taking supplements, etc.)
- Do I need to take an osteoporosis medication?
- If I'm already taking an osteoporosis medication, do we know how well the treatment is working? Might I need to try a new medication?
- When should I schedule my next appointment?