High Triglycerides: Your Healthcare Team

Many doctors and healthcare professionals can help you if you have high triglycerides. You may not need to see all of the healthcare providers on this list, but you should consider how each one's expertise might be able to assist you.

Primary care physician: A family physician, internist, or nurse practitioner who will monitor your overall health. If your gynecologist is your primary care physician, he or she will order the lipid test if you ask, but will probably refer you to another primary care provider for management of elevated triglycerides if the test is abnormal.

Cardiologist: A doctor who specializes in the care of the heart.

Nurse practitioner: An Advanced Practice Nurse who can provide high-quality care and treatment to patients. They can diagnose and treat a variety of health problems and inform patients about lifestyle changes that can improve their health.

Physician assistant: Health professionals licensed to practice medicine with physician supervision. They perform a comprehensive range of medical duties, from basic primary care to high-technology specialty procedures.

Nurse educator: A nurse who can help you understand your condition and implement your doctor's treatment plan.

Dietitian: A nutritional expert who can offer advice on how to eat in ways that will lower your triglycerides; can also help you set weight-loss goals.

Social worker: A professional trained to help you meet condition-related challenges, including finding home healthcare, dealing with insurance or handling financial issues.

Psychologist: A mental-health specialist who can help you psychologically and emotionally cope with your condition. This could include finding a way to stop smoking or reduce stress.

Weight-loss counselor: A professional trained to assist you with understanding how exercise and eating right can beneficially impact your body.

Personal trainer: A professional trained to teach you safe workouts that will help you lower your triglyceride levels.