Health Tip: Traveling for the Holidays With Diabetes
Don't forget medication and supplies
(HealthDay News) -- As you prepare for a holiday trip, don't forget to pack diabetes essentials.
The American Diabetes Association offers these suggestions:
- Pack extra supplies and medication; a good rule of thumb is to pack double what you think you'll need.
- Keep syringes and insulin in your carry-on bag.
- Pack supplies for testing your urine and blood, along with extra batteries for your glucose meter.
- Bring along all oral medications and first-aid meds, such as anti-diarrhea medication, an anti-nausea drug and antibiotic ointment.
- Wear your diabetes ID bracelet and keep your diabetes ID card on you.
- Pack a snack in case you get low blood sugar -- such as peanut butter, cheese and crackers, a juice box or some fruit. Make sure they're well-sealed.
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.