Health Tip: Start Healthy at College
Advice for freshmen
(HealthDay News) -- For many young men and women, college is the first chance to assume responsibility for their own health.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers this advice for incoming freshmen:
- Practice healthy habits, including getting enough sleep, eating a healthy diet and getting plenty of regular exercise.
- Eat a variety of healthy foods, including proteins, fruits and veggies. Avoid salt, sugar and too much fat -- and late-night eating binges.
- Let roommates and others close to you at school know if you have a chronic health condition. Mention any symptoms to watch for, and what to do in an emergency.
- Don't engage in risky behavior -- including alcohol and drug use and sexual promiscuity -- just to fit in.
- Seek any support resources available at your school.
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.