Health Tip: Keep Your Kitchen Clean
Wash countertops frequently
(HealthDay News) -- Daily cleaning of your kitchen can help minimize germs and reduce the risk of contracting a foodborne illness.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these suggestions for a daily kitchen clean-up:
- Using hot, soapy water, frequently wash all kitchen countertops and work surfaces. Immediately clean up any spilled food.
- Don't place any non-food items (such as mail, purses or bookbags) on kitchen counters.
- Thoroughly wash countertops before you prepare food.
- Wash all cooking utensils and dishes in the dishwasher on the hot setting, and be sure they are rinsed well.
- Wash all dish towels regularly in the washing machine on the hot cycle, and dry before using.
- Wash dirty sponges in a water/bleach solution or throw them out.
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.