Health Tip: Enjoy Sausage Safely
Make sure package is sealed properly
(HealthDay News) -- Sausage is a popular choice for the summer grill, and there are many cuts to enjoy.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics suggests how to enjoy sausage safely:
- Look for the "safe food handling" label on the package, stating the product was properly processed and packaged.
- Before buying, ensure that the sausage is tightly wrapped and properly sealed.
- Buy sausage at the end of the shopping trip, which will help prevent premature thawing.
- Store fresh sausage in the refrigerator. Eat within four days if cooked, and within two days if fresh. Freeze at below 0 degrees Fahrenheit
- Make sure you cook sausage to an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Refrigerate leftovers within two hours of cooking.
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.