- What treatment choices do I have? Which treatment do you recommend, and why?
- Why are we doing this treatment—to cure the cancer, to help me live longer, or to relieve or prevent symptoms of the cancer?
- What are the chances that the treatment will help?
- What side effects are likely to result from the treatment(s) that you recommend? And what can I do to help reduce these side effects?
- How would treatment affect my daily activities?
- Would a second opinion be helpful to me? If so, where can I get a second opinion before I start treatment?
- Are there any clinical trials? If so, how can I learn more?
- What should I do to maintain my health and well-being?
- Will there be any pain? If so, how can I best manage it?
- What symptoms should I watch out for? If I develop any of those symptoms, whom should I call?
- Will my health insurance cover it?
- Can you recommend a metastatic cancer support group?
- Are there any support groups for my family?
Metastatic Cancer: Ask Your Oncologist
Published October 2012