Questions to Ask About Your Breast Cancer
You probably have a lot on your mind right now. Getting the answers to these questions can help you understand your cancer and organize your thinking. Don’t worry if you don’t get to cover all of them today—you’ll have plenty of opportunities to ask more questions.
- What kind of breast cancer do I have? What stage is my breast cancer?
- What is the prognosis, or outlook, for my type of breast cancer? What do you recommend to improve that outlook?
- What local treatment (e.g., surgery, radiation) do you recommend?
- Will I need medical therapy? What type (e.g., hormonal therapy, chemotherapy)?
- Am I a candidate for a clinical trial?
- What kind of lifestyle modifications can I make to feel my best and to lower the risk of recurrence?
- Do you recommend genetic testing for me?
- What kind of support is available (e.g., emotional support—hospital social workers, local support groups—and information support, including websites)?
- Who on your team can I call if I have a question or need help?