Breast Cancer: Preparing for Today’s Visit
Today the healthcare provider will be gathering information about you so you can receive the very best care. Here are some of the items that may be discussed.
- Your recent history regarding this diagnosis: They’ll need to understand how you came to be diagnosed and what tests and procedures you have had so far. Did you discover a lump? Visit your primary care provider or gynecologist? Get referred for mammography? Be ready to fill them in with these details.
- Your personal and family history of cancer: Have you had cancer in the past? Type? Age at diagnosis? Have your parents, grandparents, siblings or children had cancer? Type? Age at diagnosis?
- Your other health conditions: They'll need to know if you have other health issues, such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, depression or other mental health disorders.
- Medications and supplements: List all prescription medications you take, including bioidentical hormones in topical form, antidepressants or antianxiety medication, blood pressure medication. List over-the-counter supplements you take, including multivitamins-multiminerals, sports supplements, fat-loss pills, joint remedies, herbal formulations (including medicinal teas). Important: Indicate medications to which you are allergic.
- Past surgeries/procedures: List all surgeries and procedures you have had.